- This event has passed.
Annual North Carolina Hot Sauce Contest (Oxford, NC)
September 14, 2019 @ 8:00 am - 3:00 pmFree
Thirteen years ago Julia Overton, Owner of Stovall’s Gifts located at 100 Main Street in historic downtown Oxford, hosted an event in her store to promote North Carolina products, specifically hot sauces. From that event, the NC Hot Sauce Contest was born and grown to encompass the four main streets in downtown; College, Main, and Hillsboro/Williamsboro Streets as well as several side streets.
The 13th annual Hot Sauce Contest will be held on Saturday, September 14, 2019 from 11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Come sample and purchase barbeque and hot sauces, and locally crafted products. You will not want to miss the food-trucks, selected crafted brews, unique sounds from Who Shot John and Love Tribe, witness the pepper eating contest and cheer for the 2019 named best sauces.
This year should be bigger and better than ever and all the activities will certainly spice up the blends and texture of downtown’s historical streets. There is so much to do this year and the event continues to grow.
Here is a sampling:
- Festival open from 11:00 am – 6:00pm
- Who Shot John Band 11:00 – 1:00 at Main Stage
- Sauces Registered by 11:30 at the Hot Sauce Contest Stage on College Street
- Pepper Eating Contest starts 1:00 – 2:00 (must register at Pepper eating stage by 12:00 to participate)
(Win $1,000 first prize or $300.00 second prize…if you can stand the heat)
- Love Tribe Band 2:00 – 5:00 at Main Stage
- Hot Sauce Winners will be announce by category hourly starting at 2:00 pm on the Hot Sauce Contest Stage
- Granville County Museum open from 11:00 – 6:00
- Granville Gardeners Plant Sale
- Activities for the kids on Williamsboro Street