Here’s a super simple recipe that sweetens that habanero heat, creating a yummy sweet and spicy snack. This recipe can really be used for any hot pepper that you’d like to make into a sweet and spicy masterpiece. Great on sandwiches or enjoying on its own!
Sweet & Spicy Pickled Habaneros
- Sliced Habanero Peppers 15 - 20 for 1 jar
- 1 Cup White Vinegar
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds optional
- Sliced red onions to top off optional
First we need to make sure the jars are sterilized. Wash jars and lids with hot, soapy water. Then boil the jars and lids in a large pot, covered with water, for 10 minutes. Use tongs when handling hot sterilized jars. There are specialty made "canning jar lifter' tongs that make this job much easier. Be sure tongs are sterilized too by dipping the ends in boiling water for a few minutes. Keep the jars in the hot water until they are ready to be filled. Follow USDA guidelines for proper sterilization and canning procedures.
- Slice your habaneros into rings, removing seeds.
Pack the sliced habaneros (and red onions if using) into a sterilized mason jar.
- Throw in the mustard seeds.
- Place vinegar and sugar in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Once sugar is dissolved pour brine on peppers leaving ½" of space at the top.
- Close the lid and let cool down.
- Once cool refrigerate.
- Feel free to enjoy after an hour or if you wait a couple of days they will be even better.
If you make this, be sure to share it with all the fans!
Tag your photo with #cayennediane on Instagram or Twitter.