This is a delicious, super easy, spicy vinegar coleslaw recipe sure to please. And it’s inspired by my mom. She always makes coleslaw for every festive meal. But, of course, I added my own spicy twist to her recipe.
I’ll be 100% honest. When I’m in a hurry, I “cheat,” and purchase the pre-shredded bags of cabbage that include carrots and then add the rest of the fresh veggies. It’s every bit as delicious and saves time. 👍🏻
But if you have a head of green cabbage in need of use, or want to go with all fresh, that works too. It’s quick and easy to shred a fresh head of cabbage. Combine green and purple cabbage if you want to add some additional color and flair.
The process of shredding cabbage is simple: quarter the cabbage, remove the core, and then thinly slice. This method works best for any round, densely packed head of cabbage such as the green cabbage, red or purple cabbage, and crinkly heads of savoy cabbage.
Now place all your fresh ingredients, the shredded cabbage, grated carrots, finely chopped bell peppers (any color of your choice), sweet onion, and the chopped hot peppers, into a large bowl.
The next step is to prepare the dressing. This is a simple dressing that takes only minutes to prepare. Simply combine the dressing ingredients: sugar, salt, oil, dry mustard, celery seed, ground pepper, and apple cider vinegar. Place into a sauce pan over medium heat. Simmer until the sugar is dissolved.
Once the sugar is dissolved, pour the hot dressing over the fresh vegetables and toss well.
Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. The longer the slaw has to marinate in the fridge, the better it gets. Honestly, I find this slaw way better the next day. You can certainly prepare this slaw the day before serving.
Spicy Vinegar Coleslaw
- 1 head green cabbage, finely shredded Or get the pre-shredded stuff; just as good!
- 2 Carrots, grated
- 1 Bell Pepper, finely chopped I go with red, orange or yellow for color
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 Jalapeño Peppers or make it Serranos or Habaneros, depending on how much heat you’d like
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable, avocado, or grape seed oil I prefer Avocado oil
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
Combine coleslaw vegetable ingredients; shredded green cabbage, finely chopped bell pepper, finely chopped onions, grated carrots and Jalapeños in a large serving bowl.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine dressing ingredients; bring to a boil. Simmer, stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Once sugar is dissolved, pour over vegetables and toss well.
- Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Then serve!
If you make this, be sure to share with all the fans!
Tag your photo with #cayennediane on Instagram or Twitter.