This is a very hearty, delicious, and spicy vegetable soup.
As with all my recipes, you can experiment with different types of chiles to get even more heat!
Spicy Vegetable Soup
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 large green onions scallions
- 1 or 2 jalapenos chopped (Serrano peppers would work well for more heat!)
- 1/2 lb baby carrots half of a 16 oz bag
- 4 ribs of celery
- 1/2 head of cabbage
- 14.5 oz can of green beans 1
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 16 oz Spicy V8 juice or just plain tomato juice optional
- Season to taste with really anything you want, such as salt, black pepper & cayenne pepper. I personally add a good dose of Cayenne, Herbs de Provence and salt to taste. If you don't have Herbs de Provence, rosemary & thyme do just fine on their own.
- Heat olive oil into large 4 quart pot while preparing the vegetables.
- Slice green onions, put in a pot and start to sauté in olive oil.
- Chop the celery into bite size pieces. Add to pot and stir.
- Chop your chiles of choice. Add to pot and stir.
- Take the outer leafs layers off the cabbage, cut into bite size pieces. Add to pot and stir.
- Chop baby carrots in half. Add to pot and stir.
If you would like a spicy soup, add a small (or large!) amount of cayenne pepper now.
- Add the 32oz chicken or veggie broth. At this point you can fill the rest of the pot with either water or Spicy V8. If you don't want a tomato broth, skip the V8.
- Add 2 bay leaves & any additional seasonings.
- Bring to a low boil. Once it begins to boil, cover and reduce to a simmer for 1 hour. Add in the can of green beans during the last 5 minutes.
- Once done, season to taste. Add more cayenne pepper if it's not spicy enough.
Adjust the number and/or type of chiles to suit your desired level of spiciness. All vegetable choices are optional, so feel free to add or remove depending on your tastes. Sometimes I add mushrooms or bell peppers. This is a very flexible recipe.
If you make this, be sure to share it with all the fans!
Tag your photo with #cayennediane on Instagram or Twitter.