This is a very hearty, delicious, spicy vegetable soup. As with all my recipes, you can experiment with different types of chiles to get even more heat!
Spicy Vegetable Soup
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 large green onions scallions
- 1 or 2 jalapenos chopped (Serrano peppers would work well for more heat!)
- 1/2 lb baby carrots half of a 16 oz bag
- 4 ribs of celery
- 1/2 head of cabbage
- 14.5 oz can of green beans 1
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 16 oz Spicy V8 juice or just plain tomato juice optional
- Season to taste with really anything you want, such as salt, black pepper & cayenne pepper. I personally add a good dose of Cayenne, Herbs de Provence and salt to taste. If you don't have Herbs de Provence, rosemary & thyme do just fine on their own.
Heat olive oil into large 4 quart pot while preparing the vegetables.
Slice green onions, put in a pot and start to sauté in olive oil.
Chop the celery into bite size pieces. Add to pot and stir.
Chop your chiles of choice. Add to pot and stir.
Take the outer leafs layers off the cabbage, cut into bite size pieces. Add to pot and stir.
Chop baby carrots in half. Add to pot and stir.
If you would like a spicy soup, add a small (or large) amount of cayenne pepper now.
Add the 32oz chicken or veggie broth. At this point you can fill the rest of the pot with either water or Spicy V8. If you don't want a tomato broth, skip the V8.
Add 2 bay leaves & any additional seasonings.
Bring to a low boil. Once it begins to boil, cover and reduce to a simmer for 1 hour. Add in the can of green beans during the last 5 minutes.
Once done, season to taste. Add more cayenne pepper if it's not spicy enough.
Adjust the number and/or type of chiles to suit your desired level of spiciness. All vegetable choices are optional so feel free to add or remove depending on your tastes. Sometimes I add mushrooms or bell peppers. This is a very flexible recipe.
If you make this, let us see! Tag your photo with #cayennediane on Instagram or Twitter.